Here are a few quick looks at some books that I have been reading lately:
1) Green Lantern Sinestro Corps Special 1 (DC Comics) – Really good book. I wasn’t that happy with the big reveal at the ending, but I could understand what they were going for. I really like the way that they are making Sinestro more of a fallen GL than a rogue GL. I really love the way his eyes look dead on the cover. The backup story was pretty good also.
2) Wild Boys: Dawn of the Wild 1 of 4 (Masterpiece Comics) – Another really good book. I like the artwork, which was appropriately scruffy and dirty and the writing was strong as usual from Ace Masters.
3) The Black Diamond 1 (AIT/Planet Lar) – Great concept and the art is strong. The backup story was pretty funny, but I hope it’s not a regular thing.
4) White Picket Fences 2 of 3 (Ape Entertainment) – I love this book. It is exciting, scary and funny, all at the same time. I really dig the art style.
5) Criminal 6 and 7 (Icon) – Ed Brubaker’s writing is excellent here. You can tell the difference between how he treats the characters of others and how he treats his own. With the Marvel superheroes, you can tell that he likes what he’s doing. With Criminal, you can tell that he is having fun with what he’s doing. Sean Phillips is perfect for this title.
6) Faker 1 (Vertigo) – I’m a little on the fence with this one. The vast majority of the characters in this story are hideous people. Still, there’s something pretty appealing about the story so far. If this was an ongoing title, I don’t know if I would stick around past the first storyarc, but it’s not, so I don’t have to worry about it much.
7) The Astounding Wolf-Man 2 (Image Comics) – I like it a lot more than I thought I would. Kirkman’s writing is pretty subtle. I’m a fan when he is dealing with subjects like superpowered teenagers, non-superpowered zombies and werewolves. Once he starts getting into regular superheroes, then he is pretty hit and miss for me.
8 ) Drain 1 (Image Comics) – A hot female vampire with martial arts training and a sword. No thanks. It’s better that I thought it would be, but that’s not saying much.
9) Dynamo 5 2, 3, 4 and 5 (Image Comics) – I like the concept and I really like the fact that the powers don’t always fit with the stereotype of what they should be. Other than that, the story seems pretty basic, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing.
10) Fell 8 (Image Comics) – Wow, that Warren Ellis guy can write. And that Ben Templesmith guy isn’t bad either. Seriously, this is easily the best value for your money. The price point is very low, but the amount of time it takes to read is a lot more than some books that cost twice as much. And this is reading because there is a lot to read, not because it is so confusing and stupidly plotted out that you have to read it more than once in order to get it.