Host Derek Coward returns to talk about what he had been reading for the past month.
I have a database for my comic books called Comic Collector. One of my favorite features is called Statistics.
As of 10/5/2010, here is a list of the ten comic book writers who show up the most in my collection.
1. Mark Waid
2. Keith Giffen
3. Chris Claremont
4. Chuck Dixon
5. Geoff Johns
6. Grant Morrison
7. Alan Moore
8. Dan Jurgens
9. Mike Baron
10. J.M. DeMatteis
Anyone who has heard my podcast has heard the phrase “I’m not the biggest Mark Waid fan.” Apparently I like the dude a lot more than I thought I did. I wonder how much this list will change once I populate all of the entries.
Welcome to the all-new, not-all-that-different Marvel Noise, now on Monday! Our host feels chatty this week, tawkin’ an-thol-o-gees. Plus: Pat Loika and new releases! Steve Raker talks about 1962! And we conclude the 2008 year in review courtesy of Backwards Dave and Carlos Cordova!
Titles mentioned include Hulk Family, Amazing Spider-Man, Ghost Rider, and Amazing Spider-Man Family.
Greg Johnson, Looking Out On Monday (http://www.gregjohnsonmusic.com/)
Voicemail: (206) 312-5239
Facebook Marvel Noise Group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=12732697211
Facebook Comic Book Noise Extended Family Group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5309074819
Podcast Alley: http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_details.php?pod_id=51305
League of Comic Book Podcasts: http://leagueofcomicbookpodcasts.blogspot.com/
Comics Podcasts Network: http://www.comicspodcasts.com/
Items shopping, January 28, 2009:
Amazing Spider-Man Extra #2 $3.99
Amazing Spider-Man Vol 2 #583 Variant Barack Obama Cover 3rd Ptg $3.99
Avengers The Initiative #21 (Dark Reign Tie-In) $2.99
Captain America Vol 5 #46 Marvels 70th Anniversary Variant Cover $2.99
Captain America Vol 5 #46 Regular Steve Epting Cover $2.99
Criminal Vol 4 Bad Night TP $14.99
Daredevil Vol 2 #115 $2.99
Dark Tower Treachery #5 Incentive Daniel Acuna Variant Cover – [PI]
Dark Tower Treachery #5 Incentive Jae Lee Sketch Variant Cover – [PI]
Dark Tower Treachery #5 Regular Jae Lee Cover $3.99
Enders Shadow Battle School #2 Regular Timothy Green III Cover $3.99
Fantastic Four Vol 3 #563 $2.99
Ghost Rider Danny Ketch #4 $3.99
Incredible Hercules #125 $2.99
Marvel 1985 HC Book Market Tommy Lee Edwards Cover $24.99
Marvel Adventures Fantastic Four #44 $2.99
Marvel Masterworks Golden Age Captain America Vol 3 HC Regular Dust Jacket $59.99
Marvel Masterworks Golden Age Captain America Vol 3 HC Variant Dust Jacket $59.99
Marvel Previews #66 February 2009 $1.25
Marvels Eye Of The Camera #3 Black & White Version $3.99
Marvels Eye Of The Camera #3 Regular Version $3.99
Ms Marvel Vol 2 #35 (Dark Reign Tie-In) $2.99
New Avengers #49 (Dark Reign Tie-In) $3.99
New Avengers Vol 3 HC Book Market Edition $34.99
New Avengers Vol 3 HC Direct Market Edition $34.99
Nova Vol 4 #21 $2.99
Punisher War Zone Vol 2 #6 $3.99
Runaways Vol 3 #6 $2.99
Scourge Of The Gods #1 Regular Aleksa Gajic Cover $5.99
Scourge Of The Gods #1 Variant Aleksa Gajic US Cover $5.99
Secret Invasion Fantastic Four TP $16.99
She-Hulk 2 #37 $2.99
Skaar Son Of Hulk #7 Regular Ed McGuinness Cover $2.99
Skaar Son Of Hulk #7 Variant Tom Grummett Cover $2.99
Stand Captain Trips #5 Incentive Lee Bermejo Sketch Variant Cover – [PI]
Stand Captain Trips #5 Incentive Mike Perkins Variant Cover – [PI]
Stand Captain Trips #5 Regular Lee Bermejo Cover $3.99
Ultimate Spider-Man #130 (Ultimatum Tie-In) $2.99
Ultimate Spider-Man Vol 21 War Of The Symbiotes TP $15.99
Ultimatum March On Ultimatum HC $24.99
Wolverine First Class #11 $2.99
X-Force Vol 3 #11 $2.99
X-Men Original Sin HC $24.99
X-Men Worlds Apart #4 $3.99
Young X-Men #10 $2.99
- Amazing Spider-Man Extra #2 (NOV082359D, $3.99, FOC 01/08/09) will no longer contain the Phil Jimenez Kraven story. Instead, the page count of the previously solicited Anti-Venom story will increase.
- The Marvel 1985 Premiere HC (NOV082446D, $24.99; FOC 12/18/08) will be 176 pages, not 144 pages.
- Ms Marvel #35 DKR (NOV082330D, $2.99, FOC 01/08/09) will have a cover by Ed McGuinness, not Stephane Roux.
- New Avengers #49 DKR (NOV082331D; FOC 01/08/09) will be $3.99, not $2.99.
- New Avengers HC Vol. 03 (Reg./DM Eds.: NOV082440-1D, $34.99 ea.; FOC 12/18/08) were solicited with the wrong covers.
- Secret Invasion: Fantastic Four (NOV082461D) – solicited as running 144 pages and containing Secret Invasion: Fantastic Four #1-#3; Fantastic Four #300 and #357 at a price of $14.99 – will now run 192 pages and contain Fantastic Four #358, in addition to the aforementioned contents, at a price of $16.99.
- Secret Invasion TP: Fantastic Four (NOV08 2461, $16.99) will be 168 pages, not 192, with no change in editorial content.
- The previously unannounced cover artist for the Skaar: Son of Hulk #7 Variant (NOV082402D, $2.99, FOC 01/08/09) will be Sal Buscema.
- The Skaar: Son of Hulk #7 Variant (NOV082402D, $2.99, FOC 01/8/09) will be drawn by Tom Grummett, not Sal Buscema, as was stated in Marvel Mailer #133.
- Wolverine: First Class #11 (NOV082421D, $2.99) will have art by Hugo Petrus, not Francis Portena.
As long time listeners of Comic Book Noise know, one of the recurring themes of the show is when I find another long box that I thought was long gone. I have moved a LOT in my adult life and I have made the mistake of leaving long boxes at one place or another. Now that I have been living in my own homes (as opposed to living with family or renting from friends), I have slowly been reassembling my comic book collection. Since I have started the podcast, I have found comics at my mother’s house, at the house of my ex-wife’s mother, in my best friend’s basement and in the garage of my sister’s ex-husband (also my former housemate).
Some times, long boxes just appear. I’m not sure where they come from, but I know they are mine. I recognize some of the comics. For some reason, those familiar comic books are not in my database (which is Comic Collector 4.2, for those of you wondering), which means that in the grand scheme of things, they don’t exist. I even have piles of loose comics in the database as Location: None.
There has been a long box sitting near my desk for a while now and I have never really paid attention to it. I have always meant to put it with the other boxes, but it wasn’t in the way, so no big rush. Today I decided to take a look at it and discovered that it is not in the database. And like I said, if it isn’t in the database, it doesn’t exist.
Hurray for free comics that spontaneously exist.
I’m not sure what is in the box, but just quickly looking in the box shows:
- a lot of American Flagg (including most of the DeMatteis/Badger run and the Time Squared special),
- Grendel #1 (featuring Christine Spar),
- all twelve issues Howard Chaykin’s Amerikan Flagg,
- Infinity Gauntlet (the entire mini),
- Infinity War (just the first issue),
- Infinity Crusade (just the first issue),
- Infinity Inc (including the annuals),
- Invaders (including the battle against The Crusaders and the return of Union Jack)
- Invasion (the entire thing),
- a bunch of old Iron Man issues (Layton artwork. The stuff around the Sunturion times),
- Judgment Day Aftermath (by Alan Moore and Gil Kane),
- the first 30 issues of Nexus/Nexus Legends,
- Starman Secret Files and Origins (which I didn’t even know I ever bought),
- a bunch of the Millennium Giants crossover issues,
- Superman Red Superman Blue with the 3D glasses and the other Superman reprint issue,
- Superman Forever with the Alex Ross cover,
- Trinity #1 (Green Lantern, The Darkstars and L.E.G.I.O.N.),
- A long run of Walter Simonson’s X-Factor (very underrated stuff),
- The first five X-Factor annuals,
- X-Force #1 (I wonder how much this is worth now),
- Two copies of X-Men #1 (ditto),
- and a lot of grass clippings in the bottom of the box.
It looks like I have to do a lot of bagging because none of the Iron Man or X-Factor issues are in bags and they look like it. The issues are readable, but they feel dirty. I also need to confirm their existence by adding them to the database.
Who knows, I might even get a chance to read some comic books. If I do, then I will shamelessly steal from Just Bill and talk about what I enter into the database.